Wednesday 27 February 2019

Austrian ice hockey

Hi again. Last Sunday we went to see some Austrian ice hockey. As a Finn I’m a big ice hockey fan and especially of my home town team Oulun Kärpät. I always enjoy going to see games in different parts of the world to see what the hockey culture is elsewhere. When I was in Nottingham few years ago, I went to see some British ice hockey and it was blast even though the level of the game was not what it is elsewhere. So on Sunday we went to a game with the Graz’s own team Graz 99ers playing against Red Bull Salzburg. The season is so far here in Austria that its “playoffs” for what I can tell, or the top six teams from the season play their own winners league and I think who gets most points is the seasons champion.

Game was good fun and I was super pumped because the Graz team played into the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger is from here. The team’s entrance music was the Terminator theme and in all the player cards that they showed on the screen all the players had their other eye made to look like a machine’s eye. I always appreciate fun stuff like that. The team played also really well. Seeing that Salzburg knocked out my home town team in the European hockey league in November, so I knew there was quality on the enemy team, but the Graz team was a mystery to me. Graz played the game really well and controlled the first period easily but failed to score. In the second period they got the breakthrough and hammered three goals in little time. In the last period Salzburg managed to score once, but Graz went on to win the game 4-1. I attached a Youtube video of the highlights. Don’t think you can see us in the video, but we were there. Pity the video doesn’t have their introduction video and I didn’t manage to find it online. Check the pics and see you next time.



Good times with some beer and ice hockey


You can kinda see the red eye on the players card



So into the game



Teams shakin hands

No comments:

Post a Comment